String of Pearls Poisoning in Dogs


What is String of Pearls Poisoning?

The string of pearls plant is initially from South Africa and its stems of round leaves can mature to 3 feet long. In addition, the string of pearls grows white flowers that look alien with unusual violet endurances that appear like antennae standing out of them, topped with purple and yellow pollen-tipped arms. Despite the fact that these plants are stunning to take a look at, they are poisonous to your pet, so it is finest not to have them anywhere your pet might have the ability to reach. Signs varying from diarrhea to liver failure can arise from intake. Itching, unpleasant skin will trigger distress to your animal too.

The unusual, succulent leaves that appear like green pearls hanging from the plant in long strings offer this plant its special name. Although it is stunning, the string of pearls plant is poisonous to dogs in addition to human beings. In human beings, consuming part of the plant can trigger moderate intestinal signs, such as queasiness and throwing up. Nevertheless, if your pet takes in any of the string of pearls, the poisonous substances in the plant can be ravaging. In addition, contact dermatitis, consisting of extreme inflammation, rash, itching, discomfort, swelling, and discomfort is brought on by skin direct exposure.

Signs of String of Pearls Poisoning in Dogs

Signs of string of pearls poisoning depend upon how your pet was exposed. The plant is poisonous to the skin from an unidentified alkaloid in addition to to the gastrointestinal system in dogs and individuals. Due to the fact that the toxicity is cumulative, the poisonous chemical can build up within a short time, so these indications threaten once saw. The signs might not appear immediately, and your pet might continue to consume the flowers or leaves up until a high adequate dosage has actually been reached to produce signs. Indications of string of pearls poisoning consist of:

  • Stomach discomfort
  • Contact dermatitis
  • Swelling
  • Inflammation
  • Itching
  • Discomfort of exposed skin
  • Soreness of the skin
  • Rubbing the face
  • Diarrhea
  • Drooling
  • Liver failure (Dark urine, tiredness, basic unhealthy sensation, jaundice – yellow tint to skin and eyes, inflamed abdominal areas due to fluid retention, loss of cravings)
  • Muscle convulsions
  • Poor hair coat condition
  • Unusual behavioral modifications
  • Throwing Up
  • Weight-loss


The string of pearls plant is in fact called Senecio rowleyanus in the asterales order from the genus Senecio of the asteraceae household. Some other typical names for the string of pearls plant are:

  • Bead plant
  • Curio rowleyanus
  • Green peas
  • Irish beads
  • Kleinia rowleyana
  • Pendant plant
  • Rosary pearls
  • Rosary vine
  • String o’ pearls
  • String of pearls
  • String of marbles
  • String of peas

Triggers of String of Pearls Poisoning in Dogs

The cause of string of pearls plant poisoning is believed to be from alkaloids, although the specific type is not known. There are 2 types of poisoning, the contact dermatitis to the skin and the gastrointestinal impacts of oral poisoning. Both types of direct exposure ought to be assessed by a vet.

Medical Diagnosis of String of Pearls Poisoning in Dogs

Bring a part of the string of pearls plant with you to the vet to assist aid in medical diagnosis. When you show up, the vet will carry out a health examination, consisting of total condition, heart rate, breath noises, breathing rate, high blood pressure, body temperature level, weight, reflexes, and oxygen levels. Make sure to offer the group all the information about the occurrence, such as just how much and what part of the plant your pet consumed. You ought to likewise inform the vet about your pet’s health history, vaccination records, uncommon habits, or cravings modifications. Lab tests will be done next, consisting of biochemical profile, total blood count, urinalysis, blood urea nitrogen (BUN), electrolyte and glucose levels. To examine if your pet is dehydrated, a jam-packed cell volume (PCV) test will most likely be done. An endoscopy might likewise be carried out to see the esophagus and eliminate any plant product. This treatment is done utilizing an endoscope, which is a long, versatile tube with an electronic camera on completion. Your pet will most most likely be anesthetized throughout the treatment. An electrocardiogram (ECG) is in some cases carried out to determine the electrical and muscular efficiency of the heart. Imaging finished with x-ray, CT scan, MRI, and ultrasound might likewise be essential.

Treatment of String of Pearls Poisoning in Dogs

Treatment will depend upon just how much string of pearls your pet consumed and what signs have actually been seen. Early decontamination can help in reducing the signs, so the vet will cause throwing up with a hydrogen peroxide medication. Likewise, triggered charcoal is advised if it has actually been less than 3 hours given that intake. Depending upon the electrolyte levels and PCV outcomes, they will most likely require to offer your pet intravenous fluids. This assists flush the toxic substances from your pet’s body in addition to rehydrates the system. The intravenous treatment is likewise useful when intestinal protectants or medications to fight queasiness are essential. Stomach lavage can be done to more empty the stomach of any toxic substances left in your pet’s system. Other encouraging treatment might be administered depending upon your pet’s requirements. Your animal will likewise be kept an eye on thoroughly the whole time.

Healing of String of Pearls Poisoning in Dogs

If your pet is dealt with within the very first 18 hours and there have actually been no kidney system signs, the diagnosis is great. If you have any concerns or issues, call your vet. To avoid this from occurring once again, it is best to eliminate any string of pearls plants you might have inside or outside your house. If you have a pet dog who likes to chew or consume foliage, plant canine-safe turfs in a location of the backyard. Work to train your animal that this location is his, and do not allow him to examine other areas of your garden.

Like it? Share with your friends!