Horsehead Philodendron in Dogs


What is Horsehead Philodendron?

The horsehead philodendron is a tropical plant showing big lobed leaves. It is frequently utilized as a houseplant due to its low upkeep and intriguing foliage. All parts of the horsehead philodendron consist of insoluble calcium oxalate crystals and these crystals can trigger severe inflammation and discomfort when chewed or swallowed. The pain that is triggered by the sharp crystals typically avoids animals from doing more than tasting the plant. On uncommon celebrations, your family pet might wind up swallowing bigger quantities of plant product. If that takes place, your canine buddy will most most likely requirement to check out the vet’s workplace.

The horsehead philodendron (Philodendron bipennifolium) consists of calcium oxalate crystals which can trigger extreme discomfort and inflammation in the mouth and intestinal system when chewed or swallowed.

Signs of Horsehead Philodendron in Dogs

The horsehead philodendron plant consists of insoluble calcium oxalate crystals in all parts of the plant. When chewed or swallowed by your family pet, these crystals can trigger: 

  • Heart arrhythmia
  • Diarrhea
  • Dilated eyes 
  • Trouble swallowing
  • Extreme drooling
  • Hoarse barking
  • Labored breathing
  • Anorexia nervosa
  • Pins and needles of exposed location
  • Obstructed of the air passage
  • Pawing/rubbing at the face or mouth
  • Swelling of the tongue and lips
  • Vocalization
  • Throwing Up


The Philodendron bipennifolium plant is most frequently discovered as a houseplant as it is both appealing and low upkeep. It most frequently called a horsehead philodendron however likewise passes the names fiddle-leaf philodendron, fruit salad plant and panda plant. A number of other kinds of plants consist of the exact same calcium oxalate crystals which trigger the discomfort and inflammation from the horsehead philodendron These plants can consist of: 

  • Arrowhead vine (Syngonium podophyllum)
  • Calla or arum lily (Zantedeschia aethiopica)
  • Candelabra cactus (Euphorbia lactea)
  • Chinese evergreen (Aglaonema modestrum)
  • Devil’s ivy (Pothos, Epipremnum)
  • Elephant’s ear (Alocasia/Caladium/Xanthosoma)
  • Flamingo plant (Anthurium)
  • Fruit salad plant (Monstera)
  • Jack-in-the-pulpit (Arisaema triphyllum)
  • Peace lily (Spathiphyllum)
  • Philodendron (Philodendron)
  • Rhubarb (Rheum rhabarbarum)
  • Skunk cabbage (Symplocarpus foetidus)
  • Wild calla (Calla)

Reasons For Horsehead Philodendron in Dogs

All parts of the horsehead philodendron consist of the calcium oxalate crystals that can trigger distress to your family pet. Calcium oxalate is a calcium salt of oxalic acid which produces inflammation and feeling numb to the tissues it contacts. Chewing any part of the plant typically triggers instant swelling and stinging discomfort to the mouth and throat locations as the small crystals embed themselves deep into the soft tissues that they get in touch with. If any of the sap or plant product is swallowed the swelling can encompass the throat and down through the GI system, triggering distress and extreme discomfort. The swelling has actually likewise been known to trigger breathing troubles if the air passage ends up being obstructed.

Medical Diagnosis of Horsehead Philodendron in Dogs

Signs have actually periodically used up to 2 hours to appear, nevertheless, lots of possible signs of direct exposure to the calcium oxalate crystals from the horsehead philodendron will appear right now, so recognition of the plant is frequently all that is needed for detecting the reason for misery. If your canine does handle to consume big amounts or if you did not observe what your family pet might have consumed, your vet might advise a check out to their workplace. Info will be collected from you relating to any opportunistic consuming in addition to any concurrent supplements or prescriptions that your canine is on. Tests such as a total blood count, biochemistry profile, and urinalysis will frequently expose if any concurrent illness or conditions exist. If your canine is throwing up from direct exposure to the plant product, then the vomitus will likewise be taken a look at and checked for contaminants. Plant product in the vomitus might likewise be checked to validate the initial medical diagnosis.

Treatment of Horsehead Philodendron in Dogs

Immediate treatment will begin with a comprehensive washing out of the mouth and impacted locations with clean and cool water to eliminate as much of the annoying crystals as possible. The undesirable taste and pain will typically prevent the consumption of this plant by most dogs. This suggests that washing the mouth location might be all that is needed, although your dog might likewise value something cool to consume or consume, such as an ice or milk, to relieve the oral pain till you have the ability to get more directions from your vet. Proper painkiller or antihistamines might be advised for your canine too, depending upon the scenarios. 

If big amounts of the either the plant product or sap were consumed a check out to the vet’s workplace is usually advised. IV fluid treatment will be used to avoid dehydration, and if an antihistamine was not formerly administered, administration as an intramuscular injection might take place at this time. Gastroprotective medications might be advised to avoid damage to the stomach lining. If the air passage is considerably inflamed, your dog might require to be kept under observation at the workplace till the swelling subsides.

Healing of Horsehead Philodendron in Dogs

Diagnosis for dogs that consume just smaller sized amounts of the plants including the calcium oxalate crystals, such as the horsehead philodendron, is typically rather great. Discomfort triggered by the crystals in the mouth and intestinal system typically are typically displaced within simply twelve to twenty-four hours from consumption. Swelling in the air passage will require to be examined and kept an eye on by a vet. Huge dosages of calcium oxalate crystals are uncommon due to the preliminary discomfort and pain in the mouth. Animals who do handle to take in big quantities of these plants threat liver and kidney damage so more tracking of these organs might be advised in the occasion of the consumption of significant amounts of the sap.

Like it? Share with your friends!